background

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Whopper Chocolate Cake: CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE

CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE #6
Whopper Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Almond Buttercream

Welcome to challenge #6 of the CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE. I know this linky party and challenge is going to be A-MAZ-ING!!! Chocolate! What could be better then CHOCOLATE? This month bloggers all over the world have made, baked and then blogged about a Chocolate Cake. It just makes me SMILE when I think of all of the people around the world who got to enjoy eating the chocolate cakes that were made! That's even more A-MAZ-ING!!!

I know my family and friends ENJOYED my Whopper Chocolate Cake.

Photobucket

Wondering what the CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE is? Want to join the CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE? If so, we'd love to have you. Just click on the button above or the tab and fill out the form. You will then be sent an email with all the details. Only participants of the CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE will be able to have their recipes linked-up, so if you missed this month please come join us for next month when we will be searching for the ULTIMATE recipe of Spaghetti with Red Sauce.

Now, onto the chocolate cake recipe I picked to make for this challenge. I had seen this wonderful whopper cake when it came across Pinterest, of course I saved it. When this Chocolate Cake challenge came up, I knew this would be the perfect recipe (except I never really looked at the recipe until the day before I went to make my said cake.. more on that story coming up). My sister's birthday party was just around the corner, so now I had the perfect cake and a perfect reason to make the cake (this way my family and I would not have to indulge all by ourselves, even though we could of totally polished off this cake, no problem).



Now, for the cake story, the blog that made this great looking cake with Whoppers on it is Urbane Fruits which is written by Sonja and to my surprise the blog is based in London (hence the food measurements were not what I was use too). I went to try and bake this cake and I could not figure out the conversions, I guess maybe if I took a little more time I could of tried to convert them, but I really did not even know where to start, and this cake was so AWESOME I knew that I couldn't give up. I really wanted to make it. I remembered another blog that had a chocolate cake recipe on it which was Kevin and Amanda Blog with The Best Chocolate Cake and then since I wanted Chocolate Frosting I went a searchin' again and came across this via Pinterest Chocolate Buttercream Frosting from Savory Sweet Life. Okay, now my cake was complete. It took three blogs and three recipes, but the results were OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD!



Whopper Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Almond Buttercream Frosting
cake idea from Urbane Fruits and cake recipe from Kevin and Amanda Blog 

1 box Devil Food Cake Mix
1 pkg instant chocolate pudding mix (larger box)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. In a very large bowl, mix together everything except chocolate chips. Batter will be thick. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour batter into cake pan of choice (normally 2 round cake pans, so you can frost the middle). For cooking time use the back of the box directions and maybe add about 10 minutes. Use the toothpick method.

Chocolate Almond Buttercream Frosting
frosting found at Savory Sweet Life

1 cup unsalted butter (softened, not melted)
3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp almond extract
4 tbsp heavy whipping cream

Cream butter for a few minutes in a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Sift 3 cups of powdered sugar and cocoa into a mixing bowl. Turn your mixer on the lowest speed, add in the sift ingredients until it is absorbed by the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add almond extract, salt, and heavy cream; beat for 3 minutes.

To decorate the Whopper Cake, you will need two (12 oz) boxes of Whoppers and some gold dust from a cake store. The first thing you need to do is sprinkle the cake with the gold dust, this helps the Whoppers stick and not slide. I began with a center strip of Whoppers from left to right and continued row by row. Your ULTIMATE Chocolate Cake is now complete.


Click on your favorite recipes to cast your vote!
My recipe is #1 (please make sure to click on #1)
Whopper Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting!

60 comments :

  1. OH MY HECK!!!!! I just about licked my computer screen. This looks amazing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moly, just LOOK at that cake! WOW! Totally impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would seriously be perfect for my BIL for his birthday! He loves whoppers (:

    thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. Seriously? All those little Whoppers look so pretty on that cake. I must try this!! Absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this on Pinterest, too, and just about died!Was it a pain to cut? Must, must, must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous. We all love whoppers in this house, so this is a "Have to Make"!Your cake recipe is the same as the one I used, except mine was from another site via Kevin and Amanda. I have to say it is the best chocolate cake ever. Thanks for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did i do something wrong? My cake is not on the link list

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Saw this one on Pinterest and it was one of the finalists. I will be making it soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great looking cake. I bet I could eat the whole thing myself (not all at once of course).

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very imaginative Tina! I can just imagine sitting down with and picking the Whoppers! Lin xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely lovely! Would love to have some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's fantastic!!! I'm definitely giving that a try, and there are any Whoppers left by the time I'm decorating I will put them on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great challenge! So many cakes, so little time. I'll be making this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks fantastic!!!! I'm loving every ones recipes so far.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great challenge! Can we have the same on next month? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks amazing!!! Thanks so much for hosting this awesome challenge. I will definitely be trying this one out some time in the future. :) We LOVE whoppers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW, TINA!!! That looks so good. My husband and daughter would fight each other for that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Tina - Your cake turned out great!!! I actually had this cake pinned on one of my pinterest boards. So glad you made it.

    I'm bummed I had to sit out this month - too much going on, but I look forward to joining up again next month.

    Until then,
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my word that looks to die for!!! My birthday is in July :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. ah ha! There I am!!! Thanks!!! Good Luck to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tina I love all those little Whopper balls all over your cake! Looks SO fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Never seen that many whopper balls in one place. Nice andi

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love whoppers! Your cake looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That cake is just crazy good looking! I love Whoppers. Come visit me. I am number 63

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks great, Tina! Thanks so much for all your hard work hosting The Challenge!! I'm already getting starting on my spaghetti for next month ... :-)
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  26. My family loves chocolate...and I'm always searching for the perfect chocolate layer cake. Yours looks amazing...and I see a whole bunch more to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW. I'm so impressed by the time this cake took. absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I could sit and look at your cake all day! Loving the Whoppers, but the OCD in my is loving the perfectly neat grid you made with them just as much! Thanks for hosting such a fun cooking group.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The presentation of this cake turned out pretty awesome!! Thanks for hosting a fun link up party!!

    http://kaylasmalltownlife.blogspot.com/2012/02/black-magic-cake-with-pb-frosting.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is very dangerous -- I could hear my hips growing, just reading the recipe. Had to open a box of GS cookies, just to get through it! I'm #29, and hope you'll visit.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What an awesome cake, Tina. I love the flavor of chocolate malt, but the powdered product is so hard to find. The idea of the Whoppers is great. Hope to be making this one soon. A great turnout of chocolate cakes. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your cake looks so good. I like that you combined 3 different recipes to find the perfect cake. Stopping by from CCC #45.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is my first time and I have had a ton of fun with this cooking challenge! Of course, the fact that it was about chocolate cake drew me. The family was pleasantly surprised that I baked for no apparent reason. Thanks for hosting. LOVE Whoppers and how the cake looks with them plastered all over your cake!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This must have taken some work. Great job Tina. And thanks for hosting. I know it's a ton of work.

    ReplyDelete
  35. hi Tina, I have made a cake using our equivalent of whoppers here for a client and so I know how good yours is. There is a page on my blog: helpful hints which has all the conversions on it you will need :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Tina,
    A Whopper indeed, this is a great cake, looks delicious. Thank you so much for hosting our event and always making it so EASY!! Hope you are having a great week.
    Miz Helen
    #7

    ReplyDelete
  37. That is one gorgeous cake. I love the uber thick layer of frosting, too. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, what an impressive cake! I bet your sister was bowled over when she saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. That slice looks amazing with the whoppers "crust". Thanks for hosting, Tina! I had so much fun making and eating mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This blog hop was soo mcuh fun!!! Thank you for doing this all for us!! I really appreciate you and your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is so gorgeous! I sooo want a piece!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your cake is amazing! I love how you placed the whoppers on the cake. This was my first time doing this blog hop, it has a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  43. My sweet almost lost it when he saw your cake! I found a sweet treat to make for him! This was my first time participating in the Crazy Cooking Challenge! Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Dang It!!!! Need to go off my diet now. Looks to good to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  45. We don't have whoppers in Australia but we have something similar. I can't wait to wow my guests with this cake. It looks amazing. Need guests or I'd eat the whole thing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is just such an amazing looking cake...I can't being to imagine how wonderful it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  47. What brand of cake dust did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love it! This is by far the best looking chocolate cake I've ever seen! These looks delicious! I can't wait to try this chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love to eat chocolate and i got chocolates for send gifts to pakistan specially for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I made this cake yesterday for my birthday party (completely going off my diet) and I'm telling you, this cake was life-changing! And that frosting....OMG...sooooo good. I only allowed myself one piece, but that is clearly not going to work for me. Thanks for the amazing recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I made this cake yesterday for my birthday party (completely going off my diet) and I'm telling you, this cake was life-changing! And that frosting....OMG...sooooo good. I only allowed myself one piece, but that is clearly not going to work for me. Thanks for the amazing recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...