background

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Grandma's French Toast (and a GLUTEN-FREE recipe too!!!)

My son loves his Grandma Hudgens famous French Toast. Ever since I can remember our trips up to Oregon and/or her visits down to California, my son loves her to make her French Toast every single morning just for him. The girls can take it or leave it (they are always on a diet or something; but I do know they love it too... I made it for them this morning). Over the years I've tried and tried to repeat this recipe and I could never figure out why, my son would say "this doesn't taste like grandma's". This past December while she was here, I watched her again make this recipe and I don't know how I ever missed this crucial part of her recipe: fry it in oil. Yep, that's it, oil. Now, I have perfected the recipe and I am ready to post it for all of you to enjoy. It's not exactly healthy, but it is GREAT for a weekend treat for the kids.


Grandma's Hudgens Famous French Toast
from Grandma Hudgens; I must say to make it exactly like hers, you can NOT skip the Texas Toast, the oil or the Heavy Whipping Cream. (I use to try regular bread, milk and PAM spray.... it's just not the same)

4 slices thick Texas Toast Bread
4 eggs
2 tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

Heat a few tbsp of oil in a skillet on the stove top. Whisk all ingredients together in a flat round pie dish (this helps to soak the bread). Soak each piece on both sides, I make sure all the egg mixture has been soaked up, you should not have any left-over. Fry each piece of french bread in the skillet until slightly crispy on each side. Serve with your favorite syrup and with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.


French Toast (GLUTEN-FREE)
I also made this today for my sweet daughter who needs everything GLUTEN-FREE and DAIRY-FREE. It's not Grandma's recipe, but it's still better then nothin'.

2 slices Gluten-Free Bread (we save the heals of the bread and use that for french toast)
2 eggs
1 tbsp Almond Milk; Vanilla
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Heat a few tbsp of oil in a skillet on the stove top. Whisk all ingredients together in a flat round pie dish (this helps to soak the bread). Soak each piece on both sides, I make sure all the egg mixture has been soaked up, you should not have any left-over. Fry each piece of french bread in the skillet until slightly crispy on each side. Serve with your favorite syrup and with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Disclaimer: I am in no way a doctor, nutritionist or otherwise knowledgeable about a Gluten-Free/Dairy-Free diet. I am just a mom stumbling and falling along the way trying to figure out what to serve my daughter. If I make a mistake I apologize. I try and read every label, but there may be times when I mess-up! I advise you to check ALL labels of the brands of products you are using to ensure that they are Dairy-Free and/or Gluten-Free
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I LOVE Linky Parties, what a great way to mix and mingle with lots of bloggers! This recipe is linked to the following linky parties: Check Me Out Saturday, Saturday Swap, Spotlight Saturday, What's on Your Plate, What's Cooking Wednesday, Homemaking Link-Up, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Ultimate Recipe Swap, Food on Fridays, Friday Favorites, Home & Family Friday, Food & Health Carnival and Tasty Tidbits

5 comments :

  1. My family loves French Toast and this looks delicous! Thanks so much for linking to Saturday Swap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great and hey, every now and then, it is okay to splurge on the oil and Heavy Whipping Cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love French toast and it was something I missed for a long time before there was good gluten free bread. It's a great treat. Thanks for participating in Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to now have to try the Texas Toast idea! As if I needed ANOTHER way to get more calories into my diet... but oh well, even the photograph you posted is making me gain weight. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks good. Well what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic. Thanks for sharing your ideas, its not just entertaining but also gives your reader knowledge. Good blogs style too, Cheers!

    - The gluten free toast

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...