background

Monday, July 18, 2011

Blueberry Muffins GLUTEN-FREE: Secret Recipe Club

Secret Recipe Club

Secret Recipe Club

I am so excited about my first post for the Secret Recipe Club. I came across this blog/challenge on many different sites, the Secret Recipe Club keep popping up. My thoughts were how wonderful to get to know another blog; a different one each and every month. I jumped at the chance to join in and I am so happy I did. 

My Secret Recipe Blog this month is: Delishhh

What a fun name, Delishhh! I read through pages and pages of her blog the very first day I got the assignment and wondered what am I going to make? I have to pick just one recipe. Oh no? So, I waited a few days and looked again. And there it was a new post with a very common recipe; Blueberry Muffins. My son had been asking and asking for me to make Homemade Blueberry Muffins, so this recipe was just calling my name.  I decided to make these GLUTEN-FREE for my daughter (as her stomach issues are still never ending... another doctor appointment this week).

The recipe was very simple and came out better then I expected (because of the gluten-free flour, I was a little worried). We enjoyed at least a half-a-dozen that morning and I froze the rest of the muffins. I love freezing homemade muffins, that way I can enjoy them on busy mornings. This recipe was no different. I actually froze an entire dozen to take with us next month camping. If you are looking for a basic, moist muffin, this one is perfect. I am sure you can substitute raspberries or other berries to make another great muffin recipe.


Blueberry Muffins - GLUTEN-FREE
found and adapted from Delishhh

2 cups all-purpose GLUTEN-FREE flour (changed to gluten-free)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 cup sugar
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1- 1/4 cups sour cream (used the sour cream and I love this addition to muffins)
1-1/2 cups frozen blueberries (changed from fresh to frozen)

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a standard and set aside.

Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl until combined. Whisk the egg in a separate bowl until well-combined and light-colored, about 20 seconds. Add the sugar and whisk vigorously until thick, about 30 seconds. Add the melted butter in 2 or 3 additions, whisking to combine after each addition. Add the sour cream in 2 additions, whisking just to combine, and then add the lemon zest.

Add the berries to the dry ingredients and gently toss just to combine. Add the sour cream mixture and fold with a rubber spatula until the batter comes together and the berries are evenly distributed, 25 to 30 seconds. Small spots of flour may remain and the batter will be very thick. Do not over mix. (This is this most interesting thing I learned in this recipe, my entire batter did not turn purple like it usually does... I am so excited about this method and will use this in many things)

Using a large spoon or a cookie scoop sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, divide the batter in the muffin cups. Bake until the muffins are light golden brown and a toothpick or thin knife inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating the pan from front to back halfway through the baking time. Immediately remove muffins to a wire rack and cool for at least 5 minutes. Serve immediately or at room temperature. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.

24 comments :

  1. Lovely Muffins...Like those peeping Blueberries from the Muffins! Lovely SRC entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blueberry Muffins are my favorite kind ever!! Found this from the The Secret Recipe Club blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see so many things gluten free around here, these sound awesome! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love freezing muffins too. They defrost quickly and are always a crowd pleaser! These look great - I've never worked with gluten free flour but it looks like it worked out really well in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious...and there are blueberries hanging out at my house. What a great way to use them! Nice SRC entry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina, these look delicious! Blueberry muffins are a hit here at our house, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! I have not done a lot of gluten free baking but I should really give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fabulous - i love these muffins. Isn't the secret recipe club so much fun. Love finding new blogs and looking around. . .Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blueberry muffins - YUM! One of my favorite foods in the whole world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved posting about Delishhh! Great job with the blueberry muffins, they sound perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the great tip about freezing muffins! I've never done that - and always end up wasting a few stragglers (and I hate that!)

    These muffins looks great - perfect choice for the SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must try these muffins!
    So fun to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. This looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of the reasons I freeze so many blueberries in the summer, is so I can make blueberry muffins all winter long! These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to make a batch of these to freeze for when my guy takes me camping in the near future. These muffins look so delicious. A great pick for Secret Recipe Club. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those muffins look great. When we make muffins, they never make it to the freezer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These muffins look divine. Isn't SRC fun? I can't wait for next month!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm really enjoying all of the SRC posts, and your is just perfect. I've not ventured into the gluten free realm, however we do try to do some dairy free cooking due to my kids stomach issues. Ugh!
    Love these muffins, blueberry is always a hit in my household!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look really great - I love love love blueberry muffins. :) Thanks for your great scramble recipe this month...I love Secret Recipe Club and it was awesome to discover your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look lovely, Gluten free, that's interesting, this is quite a challenge, I love to try it out!, came here through SRC, first time here, you have a lovely space.., I can't wait for the next month, excited whom I will assigned to next month, and what can I try :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum, nothing beats homemade blueberry muffins. They're one of my favorite breakfasts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love blueberry muffins, and what a great idea to freeze the extras. I always just eat them and regret it later! LOL

    Visiting from the SRC.

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  22. These sound wonderful Tina, I love muffins, and blueberry is my all time favorite. Delishhh was my very first assignment in the SRC, she has a killer chocolate gelato too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...