background

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Apple Cake & Happy Birthday Grandma Fay {my Angel in Heaven}

It would be my Grandma Fay's 100th birthday today. It's so hard to imagine and I still sometimes can't believe she is gone. I believe she is my Angel in Heaven watching down on me, some say I was her favorite grandchild and that I am just like her and ya know I am perfectly okay with that. She was funny and quirky and she had her little things about her that we all can laugh SO hard at, including all our thift-store Christmas gifts. But I love'd her very much and I would take her quirky style anyday.



We were having a BBQ for my twin daughters at my Uncle Mike's house (who is my Dad's twin brother, and her sons's) and I was suppose to bring dessert. I thought of all the apples I had that needed used up and this cake came to mind. I began making it and then it hit me, I think it's my grandma's birthday this month and yep (a little check in my scrapbook to confirm that date) and yep it would be her 100th birthday today. She was born August 11, 1912. I can't imagine her being here today, but I also know she is in heaven and watching down on my family each and every day.

This recipe is a re-post, but the first time I posted I didn't have any photo creating the cake, so here ya go. Also I decided to make this version Gluten-Free for one of my daughters and guess what it worked out perfectly. SO EXCITED I have another dessert I can make her.


Apple Cake (gluten-free version)
recipe from Grandma Fay

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 cups flour (or all-purpose gluten free flour)
2 eggs
4 cups apples (peeled and diced)
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup walnuts, crushed

Mix all together and pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1-1/2 cups powder sugar
8 oz cream cheese
4 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp vanilla

Mix all together in an electric mixer until smooth. Spread on top of cake after it has cooled down.
Store the cake in the refrigerator, but serve at room temperature.


I would say we pretty much devoured this cake. And yep it was delicious.


4 comments :

  1. This cake looks super yummy! Love cream cheese frosting!!

    Nominated you for the One Very Lovely Blog and Inspiring Blogger Award. Stop by and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet of you. This cakes looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss my Grandma and my Granny very much even though many years have passed. Aren't we lucky we had them for awhile in our lives.? yummy cake

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...