background

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Blueberry Cream Cheese Muffins: CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE

CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE #8
Blueberry Muffins
Blueberry Cream Cheese Muffin
I can't believe this challenge has been going on for 8 months now, and each month I fall in love with all the recipes we post. This month we are baking together; Blueberry Muffins. Our challenges are comfort food at it's finest. This CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE is still as exciting as it was the first month, if you haven't heard of this yet, then you MUST READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Photobucket

Wondering what the CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE is? Want to join the CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE? If so, we'd love to have you. Just click on the button above or the tab and fill out the form. You will then be sent an email with all the details. Only participants of the CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE will be able to have their recipes linked-up, so if you missed this month please come join us for next month when we will be searching for the ULTIMATE Grill Cheese Sandwich.

My recipe for blueberry muffin recipe comes from Healthy Food for Living. This was my first visit over there and I just LOVED all her photos from these blueberry muffins she made (I think I need a photo lesson from her... as I am still very much an amature as far as food photography goes). I think the pictures sold me and I didn't even look any further at the recipe and then when I went to make the recipe it said "healthy" blueberry muffins. AWESOME - ADDED BONUS!!! :-)


We ate half the batch of muffins and froze the other half (this is what I do with ALL muffins I make at our home). We can then enjoy fresh muffins from our freezer any day we want. These are saved for our Florida/Missouri Vacation in a few weeks. We will be traveling for 8 days and homemade food will be rare, that's why I love to bring along some homemade goodies for breakfast & some cookies or treats for the evenings.


Blueberry Cream Cheese Muffins
recipe found at Healthy Food for Living
originally from Shape Magazine - A Better Blueberry Muffin

1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup evaporated cane juice
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp low-fat buttermilk, well shaken
1 large egg 
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 pint fresh blueberries, washed and dried
1/4 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
1 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tbsp turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin, or line with muffin cups. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, evaporated cane juice, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, oil, and vanilla extract. Toss the blueberries with the flour mixture. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until incorporated.

In a small bowl, stir together the neufchatel and maple syrup.

Divide the batter evenly amongst the prepared muffin cups. Make a small well in the center of each batter-filled muffin cup. Fill each well with 1 tsp of the sweetened cream cheese. Sprinkle each filled cup with a bit of the turbinado sugar.

Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean (work around the cream cheese in the center). Cool in pan for 5 minutes; transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.


Click on your favorite recipes to cast your vote!
My recipe is #1 (please make sure to click on #1)
BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE MUFFINS

29 comments :

  1. My goodness gracious!!! Those look so good! I was afraid that I might not find any new takes on blueberry muffins and then the first one I see is completely different than any I have ever made :) Ready to get a stumbling, pinning, and tweeting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fantastic, and sound even better! I can't believe how many different variations of blueberry muffins there are! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Never would have thought to put cream cheese in the middle! I've got to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These look AMAZING. I love the cream cheese!

    Thanks for hosting the blog party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your muffins look amazing! It's so much fun seeing everyone's muffins. Yum!! Thanks for letting me part of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tina - great recipe selection this month! So many wonderful blueberry muffins to drool over :). Too bad the 7th fell on the weekend (I find I get very little traffic on the weekends). Here's the next month's Grilled Cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again, you have an awesome way of showing us fun takes on traditional recipes! These look great! Pinning these and sharing them {amongst many others} on my FB page! Thanks, Tina, for hosting this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Creamcheese is a great addition to muffins. Ours are already all gone haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so good - doesn't get much better than cream cheese:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound amazing! What isn't even better with a cream cheese filling?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those I wouldn't throw out of my kitchen for sure! Yumm! I might have to start baking more after seeing all the great muffin recipes this month!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the idea of the cream cheese filling--YUM. Thanks again for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tina, these sound wonderful, I love the cream cheese filling, yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, it sounds like a healthy cheesecake! Definitely have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tina, I've responded to all your emails... check your spam folders. Brent

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy - blueberries and cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mine have cream cheese filling too, so good!

    I’m # 6 with the Blueberry Apple Crisp Muffins

    ReplyDelete
  18. These muffins look so good as does the cream cheese filling! Thank you so much for hosting!! Stopping by from CCC#41.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your muffins look fantastic. Thanks so much for hosting the challenge again. This is my third month of doing it and it is a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum! Love the cream cheese in the muffins.

    Gay, CCC#24

    ReplyDelete
  21. I honestly think cream cheese makes anything a million times better. Thanks for hosting the challenge, they've been fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Will bookmark this low fat healthy muffin recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness you had me a cream cheese those look great and are my list of to-do food! Happy Treats! #95

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks AMAZING! I just loved it and I've got to make this!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tried this out today and it was terrible... 1/3 cup cane sugar is not enough and made the muffin quite tasteless. Would be a disaster if not for the cream cheese. The batter was overly dry and hard to mix together. Would not try this again.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so sorry you didn't like the muffin, we've made it several times and love it. Make sure you used cane JUICE and not cane sugar. This recipe came from a national magazine, Shape and is meant as a healthy muffin, not a sweet muffin. Again, sorry it wasn't to your liking.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...