background

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS GOODIES (Day 10): Swirl Sugar Cookies

Day 10 of 12 Days of Christmas Goodies
Swirl Sugar Cookies
I am so glad I finally got to try out these great cookies. I've been seeing them around for months and months. I almost made them for Easter this past year with pastel colors (and of course) never got around to them. Then I saw this version of them at Our Italian Kitchen (I wish I could of gotten my dough a lot greener as she did) and that was it. I knew I just had to try them for Christmas. And the packaging A-MAZ-ING, I saw this via Pinterest over at Martha Stewart and they came out perfect. I delivered my first batch last night to the neighbors.


I am a little behind on my 12 Days of Christmas Goodies (and I was STRESSING OUT) and then just now as I am typing this I decided..... it really doesn't matter. And I hope you all agree. The Christmas time is for happiness - stress free - and lots of fun! And that my friend is what I am determined to make it FUN-FUN-FUN!!! So, I will post Day 10 - 11 & 12 (today, tomorrow and the next)!!! Who cares if I am three days late! :-) The point is, is that I am baking and sharing my wonderful creations both with you guys and with the people who get to eat all this deliciousness!

And don't forget I am sharing a Guest Post with you everyday from today until Christmas. You guys are in for some very special treats by some very special bloggers.
Now, back to today's goodie. I would love to see and share all kinds of Sugar Cookies. I used the swirl idea but with my own family Sugar Cookie recipe. We tried many many Sugar Cookies and we like this the best and it stays the softest, the longest according to our own "in-home" experiment a few years ago. We baked about 6 batches of different sugar cookie recipes and left them on the kitchen table.... only to taste them everyday for about a week and the cookie that did not get hard and stayed the softest was our very own family recipe. So, this is our one and only Sugar Cookie we make. Enjoy!

Grab Our Button & the Blog Hop Code if you wish to display the Linky on your own Blog. Or just link up and play along with us as we gather a ton of THEME recipes for the next 12 days.



Sugar Cookie Recipe
from a long-time family friend Sandi

1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1-3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup milk

Beat egg, sugar, butter and vanilla. Mix flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Add in milk and blend all together. Chill (overnight or at least for several hours). Roll out dough with additional flour and cut cookie cutters to cut out (if you wish to make the swirl cookie see directions below).

Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. (darker pans make cookies turn out darker and a little bit crisper, but still soft)

To make the swirl cookies; I made two batches of the above cookies; colored one green and left the other plain color. Here is the directions to make them Swirl.

Add as much food coloring as you want to get the desired color. You could coordinate your colors with the holiday or event.

Roll out each batch of cookie dough, between two sheets a wax paper until is reaches about 11 x 9 inches and is 1/4 inch thick. Slide both unto a cookie sheet and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. (I refrigerated overnight)

When firm, remove the top sheets of wax paper from both. Then flip the colored dough onto the  uncolored dough so they are stacked atop each other and even. Press the edges lightly with your fingertips to seal them together. Using a small pairing knife, trim the edges of the dough to make straight, even lines.

Pour out sprinkles onto a large platter and set aside. Be sure your dough is still cold, but flexible. Once it's ready, begin rolling the long side of dough into a swirl, jelly-roll style. Now, don't get nervous if the outer layer of uncolored dough tears a bit. It's no problem, just pinch and pat those tears and voila, then just keep rolling.


Now gently lift your dough log onto the sprinkles and roll away. Cover the log completely with your sprinkles. Before baking the cookies wrap in wax paper and place the dough into refrigerator for about 3-4 hours. Slice your dough into 1/4 inch slices and bake on prepared baking sheets.

We bake at 400 for 10 to 12 minutes (using the cookie dough recipe above).



We will  be having a linky party for the first 12 days in Decmeber. It's a BLOG HOP Party, so if you wish you can grab the blog hop code below or just link up some of your recipes with our THEME.

Here is a SNEAK PEAK of what's coming up and what's been happening.....
All the Blog Hops will be OPEN until Christmas Day (so there is plenty of time to link up)!

Day 1 - Candy Bark "Pretzel Bark"
Day 2 - Christmas Cookies "S'more Chocolate Chip Cookies"
Day 3 - Bread & Muffins "Reese's Peanut Butter Banana Bread"
Day 4 - Truffles "Egg Nog Truffles"
Day 5 - Cupcakes "Apple Pie Cupcakes"


Day 6 - Snowman "Anything SNOWMAN"
Day 7 - Fudge "Butterfinger Fudge"
Day 8 - Cake Pops or Cake Balls "Red Velvet Cake Balls - Reindeer"
Day 9 - Gifts in a Jar "Peppermint Hot Chocolate in a Jar"
Day 10 - Sugar Cookies "Swirl Sugar Cookies"
Day 11 - Homemade Candy "Peanut Butter Cups"
Day 12 - Anything Candy Cane "White Chocolate Candy Cane Pudding Cookies"


Today's Theme is SUGAR COOKIES!
I can't wait to see all the famous must try SUGAR COOKIES!

2 comments :

  1. I have never tried to make a swirl cookie like that, it looks so neat! I love how you rolled the outside in sprinkles too! You did an awesome job! I would love it if you would stop by tomorrow (Wed.) and share them at my Sweet Party :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow what is sweet posting . good looks and awesome posting

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...