background

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies from GUEST BLOGGER: Secrets from the Cookie Princess

PhotobucketI am so happy to have Colleen from Secrets from the Cookie Princess, here today and a cookie pincess, at that! I make alot of cookies, but I bake too and I make other things. I saw on her blog Holiday Baking Total so far 56 dozen cookies (oh, my sister-in-law would be so happy with me if I made that many cookies! and of course shared them with her). I loved seeing the BAKING GALS logo displayed on her blog. I really love love that organization. If you haven't heard of them I encourage you to check them out. I've now added their logo to my side bar (Thanks Colleen for reminding me what a great thing that is). I baked almost every month for a year for Baking Gals, and then just got out of the habit. I think that's a habit I need to pick up again, soon.


TAKE IT AWAY: 
Happy Holidays! I’m thrilled to be guest posting for Tina at MOMS CRAZY COOKING. My blog is beginning to grow and it’s very exciting to meet all the wonderful bloggers out there willing to help a relatively new kid like me.  I met Tina through the Secret Recipe Club and jumped at the chance when she asked for a guest post. 
I’m Colleen, aka the Cookie Princess behind my blog, Secrets from the Cookie Princess.  I live in New England with my husband and Chief Tasting Office, Dave.  I first started my blog with an original recipe turning an ordinary prepackaged sugar cookie mix into the cookie version of a Cherry Cordial.  That recipe gave my little blog a lot of traction, both in the blogosphere and with my husband who adores the candies.  So what a better fitting tribute to my first guest post, and for the holidays to boot, than to share a Chocolate Covered Cherry cookie with you here! 


I found this recipe at A Good Appetite and it is delectable.  The chocolate is infused with cherry flavor, both in the cookie and the ganache on top and the cherry just bursts when you bite into it.  Dave’s comments upon trying these included, “awesome,” “wicked good,” and “the chocolate goo on top is amazing.”  I like the softness of the rich chocolate cookie paired with the slightly soft ganache and the pop of cherry flavor.  I can’t put my finger on what wasn’t quite right for me, but my dough didn’t really want to come together all the way, so I added a little bit of cherry juice (maybe a 1/2 tablespoon) and that did the trick, plus provided a subtle cherry flavor in the cookie itself.  Otherwise it’s a great recipe and I hope you enjoy.  If you’re looking for more cookies and other desserts and treats for the holidays, I’d love to see you stop by Secrets from the Cookie Princess.

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
recipe originally found at A Good Appetite

1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
24 whole maraschino cherries (generally a 10 ounce jar)
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Set aside. In a stand mixer fitted with a beater attachment, beat butter until smooth, then add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs and vanilla, scraping sides of bowl as needed.

Switch to a paddle attachment and gradually mix in flour/cocoa mixture until combined.  If your dough is crumbly, add a bit of cherry juice from your jar.
Drain the cherries, reserving the juice.  Remove stems if necessary and cut cherries in half.
Roll dough into 1 inch balls or use a small cookie scoop.  Place balls of dough about 2 inches apart on parchment or Silpat lined baking sheets.  Using your finger or thumb, make a small indentation in the center of each cookie.  Place a cherry half in the indentation on each cookie.
In a small saucepan, combine chocolate chips and condensed milk and stir over low heat until melted and smooth.  Remove from heat and stir in 4 teaspoons cherry juice until combined.
Spoon 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of the chocolate over the top of each cherry, covering it completely.  Note: I used a spoon and a spatula to make sure I “painted” over all the bits of the cherry.  If the chocolate is too thick, add a little more cherry juice.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.  Turn baking sheet 180 degrees halfway through. If using more than one sheet at a time, rotate positions in the oven for more even baking.
Remove from oven and let cool on pan for a minute before moving to wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.
Happy Baking and thank you Tina for this fun opportunity!
The Cookie Princess


1 comment :

  1. Thanks for the chance to guest post, Tina! Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...