background

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Ginger Syrup & Ginger Ale from GUEST BLOGGER: Meg's Everyday Indulgence

Today's second Guest Blogger is a fun young lady who enjoys simple cooking (me too!) and she has a nickname for her son "little man".... SO CUTE! My twins (18 years old now) have always called my son "little boy" (he is now 12 years old and they still call him little boy or little man)!!! And just recently they told his math teacher in Junior High (who was also their math teacher.... to call him "little boy" in class) and she did, and I think he LOVED IT!

Today she is treating you guys to a recipe that never in my wildest dreams would I of ever thought to make! I am SOOOO happy she is sharing this with all of you today! I wish someone would drop a bottle of this off on my porch, because I would LOVE LOVE to try it! :-)




TAKE IT AWAY:  First, I would like to say thanks to Tina for giving me the oppotunity to guest post! My name is Meghan and I blog over at Meg's Everyday Indulgence. I'm a stay-at-home mom to a crazy, silly, funny, undeniably happy 16-month old little man. I started my blog a little over 7 months ago and have loved every minute! I love to post simple recipes using common ingredients that can still wow the crowd. And today's post is no different.

When I saw Joy the Baker's post on homemade ginger ale I almost fell over. Homemade ginger ale? Seriously? Well, it's seriously awesome! It is much spicer then store-bough versions and tastes much more natural. We always have a ginger ale punch (ginger ale and lime sherbet) at the holiday's so this is a great recipe for this time of year. And what a fun gift! Bottle the giner syrup in a pretty bottle then place in a basket with club soda and limes. I love giving and receiving homemade gifts..they are so much more personal and meaningful.

I let my little man give it a try but he wasn't totally convinced. He kept trying and eventually seemed to like it. Please don't judge me... I don't usually let him have soda. It was too funny though.



Ginger Syrup
recipe from Joy the Baker

2 cups coarsely chopped ginger
2 cups granulated sugar
6 cups water


Place chopped ginger in a food processor (or blender in a pinch) and pulverize until well chopped.

Place ginger, sugar, and water in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour to 1 hour and a half, until the liquid has reduced down by more than half. You’re going from 6 cups of liquid to 2 cups. The boiling syrup will become glossy and silky as it cooks down and nears completion.

Remove syrup from the flame and strain twice through a cheese cloth, or fine mesh strainer, into a large bowl. Let syrup cool slightly before pouring into a bottle to store. Cool completely before incorporating into drinks.

Ginger Ale

1 cup club soda
3 tablespoons ginger syrup (or to taste)
lime wedge
dash of bitters (optional)
ice


Combine all ingredients in a glass over ice. Stir with spoon to incorporate. Enjoy immediately.




megseverydayindulgence.wordpress.com

Thanks a Million Meg for coming and sharing this with myself and my readers! I hope someday to make this..... I can't wait to taste the Fresh Ginger Ale! So Excited!!!

2 comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...