background

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Pioneer Woman's Fried Chicken {CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE}

CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE
Fried Chicken

WOW, WOW, and WOW again. I can not believe I have sucessfully made Fried Chicken. I have attempted a few times before, but this time, let me tell you. The BEST Fried Chicken EVER!!! And so easy and user/cook friendly, really anyone can do this. Believe me, my husband's favorite meal ever is Fried Chicken and I have always just bought a bucket from KFC, he is gonna be so happy now that I can make it fresh, like his mama does. :-)

One year for Valentine's Day, I made a huge delicious meal complete with mashed potatoes, gravy, corn on the cob, homemade coleslaw and YEP Fried Chicken (I purchased this from Kentucky Fried Chicken), no lie. I really went up to the fast food place and bought the chicken because I could not figure out how to make  GOOD Fried Chicken! Well, problem solved this is KFC good.

This month we are making FRIED CHICKEN. I started this CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE almost a year ago and it's so exciting for a bunch of us bloggers to get together once a month and all make the SAME recipe. Just click on the tab CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE to see all the details and find out how you can join in for next month. Our theme for August will be Cheesecake.

Photobucket

The CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE is alot of fun. It's nice to see all the variations and exciting to watch how many other bloggers out there make a similar or almost identical items.
I knew this month was gonna be so easy for me. I have been dieing to make Pioneer Woman's Fried Chicken. When I first started blogging I didn't even know who Pioneer Woman was and a dear sweet blogger named Leigh Anne of Your Homebased Mom had actually made PW Fried Chicken and blogged about it, this is where I first saw the recipe. Perfect! I got to make Pioneer Women's Fried Chicken and I still get to highlight an AWESOME blog Your Homebased Mom.

Leigh Ann is the talent behind this wonderful blog, Your Homebased Mom. And she is also a Facebook friend of mine (I love how we have FB friends, and you feel so close to them, even though you may of never even met)! I just LOVE LOVE watching all she does and what is coming up next in her kitchen. The next time I am in Portland visiting family, I have got to meet her in person. You see I found Leigh Anne by mutual friends, through our Creative Memories contacts. I knew who she was, but did not know her personally and well we have never actually met, YET (a few emails and postings on facebook every now and then)! Then, she hosted an awesome scrapbooking event in Portland and I have a niece in Portland, I hooked them up and well they got to scrapbook together. Lucky for them... but one day I will visit Portland again and I too hopefully will have the privilege of meeting Leigh Anne.

Leigh Anne is a stay at home mom and mother of four grown kids. I watched her all this past year as her youngest went away to college, and now this fall I will be sending my twins off the college. It's nice to see how other moms have done this and survived.

I have made a few other recipes shared by Your Homebased Mom. Here they are: EggNog Cranberry White Choclate Muffins, Shaved Parmesan Chicken & Lemon Creme, Fluffy French Toast, White Chocolate Mousse, Brown Sugar Brie, Buttercream Frosting and our all time favorite cupcake that we've probably made at least 100 times (no exaggeration) Snickerdoodle Cupcakes. So check her blog out, check out my other postings of these fabulous recipes and enjoy!

Again, thank you to Leigh Anne for introducing me to the world of blogging, it it wasn't for Your Homebased Mom and seeing, reading and loving every bit of it. I may not of ever have become a blogger myself! THANK YOU! 


Pioneer Women Fried Chicken
recipe found on Your Homebased Mom and adapted by me with a few small changes, but originally is from The Pioneer Woman Cookbook: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl by Ree Drummond

2 cut-up fryer chickens (my family loves just legs, so I bought the big pack of just legs)
1 quart plus 1/4 cup buttermilk
5 cups all-purpose flour
3 tbsp Lawry's seasoned salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp dried thyme (we leave out the thyme & add in basil instead)
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup milk
canola or vegetable oil for frying

Rinse your chicken and in a large bowl add the chicken with 1 quart buttermilk. Refrigerate overnight. When ready to fry, remove chicken from bowl and let sit on counter for 30 minutes to take chill off. (I actually added the buttermilk to the chicken and then froze it until later when I was ready to make it, didn't hurt it a bit. Then I just let it defrost in the refrigerator overnight)

Preheat oven to 350F. Stir together the flour, seasoned salt, pepper, thyme, paprika and cayenne in a very large bowl. In a small bowl combine the 1/4 cup buttermilk and the milk. Pour the milk mixture into the flour and use a fork to mix until still slightly lumpy. The lumps help the breading stick to the chicken.

Heat 1 1/2 inches of oil in a deep skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat to 365F. Use a thermometer to monitor your heat. Working in batches, thoroughly coat each buttermilk-soaked chicken piece with the breading, pressing to adhere the breading. Add the chicken to the oil 3-4 pieces at a time. Cover pan and fry 5-7 minutes, checking to make sure chicken isn’t getting too brown. Turn, cover and cook additional 3-5 minutes more. Monitor temperature of oil to make sure chicken doesn’t burn. Keep in mind chicken will finish cooking in oven. (I love this, then I don't have to worry about pink in the middle)

Place chicken on baking sheet and continue frying rest of chicken. When done, bake the chicken for 10-15 minutes, until chicken cooked through. You can cut into one of the thicker parts of one of the pieces to make sure it is thoroughly cooked.

20 comments :

  1. Looks like a really yummy, decadent fried chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there's anything better than plain ol' fried chicken! So glad you don't have to go to KFC anymore!!!
    #6

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, Tina! I'm glad you picked fried chicken; it seems like it was the first time for a lot of us. I love tackling a new dish that I've never done before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for hosting. Looks yummy. I linked up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fried chicken ... it's not the healthiest thing, but sometimes it's good to indulge just a little. Thank you so much for hosting, Tina. Your chicken looks fantastic ... I'm sure your husband was thrilled :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why is #3-11 pixtures not working??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this and I immediately wanted to go on a picnic! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Based on those pictures I find it hard to believe you ever had problems frying chicken! It looks excellent!!!

    I've made a CCC pinboard for all our chicken recipes :) Thanks for hosting!

    Have a great weekend!

    Jaime
    #23

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks great Tina ..I've been pinning today - hope it helps
    I am CCC #21
    Thanks

    Mireille

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look really good! My DIL LOVES Pioneer Woman recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was shocked mine turned out so well, too! Off to check out Homebased Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks perfect.
    I wish you would add a 'pin it' button to your blog. I follow you on Pinterest but your blog recipes aren't always posted there. Pinterest is now my recipe box. That would be swell. Thanks for considering it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your chicken looks great! I love most all of Pioneer Woman Cooks recipes. I have begun to watch her show on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This chicken looks so delicious! Thanks for hosting the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love fried chicken but it's so intimidating to me to make. Yours looks and sounds absolutely wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tina - do you have the "topic" for next month yet?

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious! Great SRC pick! Thanks for hosting.

    I'm #10 :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your chicken looks fantastic! You can't go wrong with The Pioneer Woman.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tina your chicken looks tender and delicious! Patty - CCC #16.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...