background

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My Grandma's Salt Recipe

Here is just a delicious Salt Substitute that my late Grandma passed down to me and I will now pass down to my children. I had kinda of forgotten about it, but with all my cooking I've done over the past year and really getting back into the kitchen, I pulled out my very old, hand typed cookbook and saw this recipe and just had to make it for my kids. We've actually just ran out of the first batch I made a few months ago and I had to make some more and this time I took pictures. It's hard to explain the taste of this wonderful substitute that we use instead of salt. In the mornings on an over-easy egg, omelet, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, spaghetti and there are a ton of things we use it on. We actually NEVER ever use salt in my house (except in baking), when my dad comes over I have to dig it out regular salt out of the cupboard. I don't really have a recipe for making a smaller batch, but I promise it won't go to waste. Try it.. and let me know what you think! ENJOY!
Grandma's Salt Recipe
from my Grandma Fay

1/2 cup salt
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp pepper
2 tbsp parsley
1 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp celery seed
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp dry mustard
1/2 cup Ms. Dash (any flavor)
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tbsp Italian Seasoning

Blend all together in a mixer; finely. Taste and adjust if needed. We like it just the way it comes out.
We use this on eggs, mashed potatoes and/or anything you would normally add salt too. It has a very yummy taste and it's better to use then just plain salt.


A linky party every Monday,
so don't forget to link up your favorite 
Thanksgiving Cookies & Treats recipes at:

5 comments :

  1. I love homemade seasonings and blends and this sounds like a great recipe. I'll make this soon and add it to my spice cabinet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love homemade blends such as these - during my time in professional kitchens, I discovered most chefs have something similar on hand to quickly add a dash when cooking. Great recipe to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique recipe! Sounds like something to try for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, I'll have to give it a try, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salt substitutes may no longer be necessary as there is a new mineral salt based on magnesium which, when mixed 50/50 with sodium chloride (table salt) tastes and acts substantially like regular salt. It can be used in cooking and processed foods, unlike salt substitutes. SMART SALT as the mixed product is called is just now hitting the grocery store shelves.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...