background

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Whole-Wheat Apple Pancakes

We haven't yet had enough apples this season (see all our apple recipes so far here). We are still making more recipes with apples like this Whole-Wheat Apple Pancake (YUM!)! My son is the pancake lover around our house, plain pancakes is his thing, so I am trying to spice it up a little bit and he is buying in (most of the time)! And this recipe was one of those times.  I was SOOOO happy creating him pancakes which he LOVES out of whole-wheat flour and adding in apples. What could be better? Another "keeper" recipe for our household.
Whole-Wheat Apple Pancakes

1 cup low-fat buttermilk
3/4 cup nonfat milk
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon honey
1 medium apple, diced
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
garnish with: 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup

Preheat the oven to 250. Put the apple in a microwave-safe bowl and tightly cover with plastic wrap;  microwave on high until softened, about 2 minutes. In a large bowl, whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk, nonfat milk, eggs and honey, then slowly add the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.

Heat a large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat. Spoon 1/4 cup batter onto the griddle for each pancake and sprinkle each with apple, then drizzle a little more batter over the apple. (I just folded the apples into the batter and it worked just fine) Cook until the tops are bubbly and the edges are dry, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 more minutes.

Keep the pancakes warm on a baking sheet in the oven while making the rest.
Place 2 pancakes on each plate. Drizzle with the syrup.



Also don't forget to link up with us
your favorite Pumpkin Recipe at:
"THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS"
(The theme changes on Monday to recipes for Thanksgiving Cookies & Treats)



This post is also linked to: Tuesday Night Supper Club,

7 comments :

  1. It's so wonderful how you make breakfasts for your family that are healthy and yet so delicious looking that no one could ever resist. I love that picture of your pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love any kind of pancakes! These look great, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look yummy and thanks for stopping by. I wanted to say that you should go to boot camp if you can especially if you are new. Its so affordable for the info you learn. It sells out quick. I went last May after blogging for a year and learned a ton of stuff that I wished I had new in the beginning. Hey at least you can say you know one person if you go:) Ill hang with ya.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love apple whole wheat pancakes! I tried to make some recently but I will definitely try your recipe soon. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. healthy and tasty! i have a similar obsession with pancakes as your son---i'm beginning to think that maybe i love maple syrup and the pancakes are just a delivery mechanism ;). thank you for sharing this recipe with tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just about to make these for my family, but I'm a little confused about the instructions. It doesn't say what to do with the syrup (I'm assuming you put it in with the wet ingredients) & when to add the apples (I'm assuming you fold them in last)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I just updated the recipe, I just copied it from the original owner: from Food Network, Ellie Krieger, and this is her directions! Thanks for pointing that out! :-) I hope you love them as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...