background

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Big Mac (copy cat recipe)


Who LOVES Big Macs ? I do! I do! In fact I grew up eating them and I can still remember the day when I was quite young (maybe 10 years old or so), that I was a BIG girl and I got to order my own Big Mac instead of just having a bite of my dad's hamburger. AH, those were the days! Now with calories (and turning 40) Big Macs are just not on my diet list AT ALL! (and besides now that I know what "good beef" tastes like, the Big Mac is just not all the appetizing anymore). But, since I do THE the hamburger still, I decided to re-create my own at home and I am SO HAPPY I did. I just LOVE LOVE this recipe and I see now that I can make them at home and they are just as delicious.


Big Mac (copy cat recipe)
adapted by me, but recipe found at Serious Eats
sauce recipe updated 5-13-2012; found at Well Shut the Front Door

(makes about 4 hamburgers)

1 to 2 lbs favorite ground beef, well chilled
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 slices American cheese (we like DOUBLE cheese)
1/4 cup finely minced onion (we don't like onions, so leave them out if you wish)
1 whole Wonderbread brand hamburger bun, plus 1 bottom bun
1 egg white
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1/4 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
4 dill pickle slices (we leave out the pickles too... but that's how we order it at Mc D's)
4 tomato slices (this is NOT on a Big Mac, but we like it)


Burger Sauce
1-1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
1-1/2 tsp sweet pickle relish
1 tsp yellow mustard
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp marmite, vegemite or Maggi seasoning
1/4 tsp ground turmeric

Mix together ground beef, salt & pepper. Form hamburger meat into even balls and flatten into 4-inch patties using wet hands against a cutting board, they need to be very thin for the Big Mac. Scrape patties up with thin spatula and place on a sheet of parchment paper. Refrigerate until ready to use.

(SKIP if you don't like onions... like me) Place minced onion on a double layer of paper towels on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 10 minutes on low power until mostly dehydrated but not browned. Set aside.


Combine all of the burger sauce ingredients; stir to combine and refrigerate until ready to use.

Place burger patties on a heated heavy-bottomed 10-inch stainless steel or cast iron skillet over high heat until lightly smoking. (or bbq if you wish) Add patties and cook without moving until first side is crusty and browned. Scrape up patties with a stiff spatula and flip. When ready, top each patty with a slice of cheese. Continue cooking until cooked through, about 1 minute longer and cheese is melted.

While burger is cooking: Preheat toaster oven or broiler to high. Use one finger to spread a very thin layer of egg white over the top of the top bun. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and place under broiler for 30 seconds until set. Set aside. Use a sharp, thin knife to cut off the very bottom of the bottom bun half, creating a single circular piece of bread with cut surfaces on both sides. Next toast the cut bun and bottom bun, under broiler until light golden brown. Set aside until ready to assemble.

To assemble the BIG MAC: Spread half of sauce on each bun. If using onions, divide dehydrated onions evenly between bottom and center buns and top with lettuce. Place 2 pickle slices on each (or skip pickles like us) and add a tomato instead. Transfer burger patty one to bottom bun and one to middle bun. Place top bun on top of center, then stack center bun on top of bottom. Serve immediately.


5 comments :

  1. oh my word! That's huge! Do you know how many calories you save doing it that way (just curious)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That looks amazing! I used to LOVE Big Macs and can't wait to try this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo this looks insanely good! Marmite is found at World Market, FYI. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Yum Batman! I have got to make these!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that look so awesome! i love copycat recipes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...