background

Monday, March 28, 2011

THIS WEEKS CRAVINGS LINKY PARTY #22 (SURPRISE INGREDIENT) and Kraft Macaroni & Cheese w/Sweet Potatoes

THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS Linky Party #22
The Theme is: "SURPRISE" Ingredient
(What can you hide in your food?)

When I first learned about adding in vegetables into my kids food I was so fascinated that I could actually pull it off. The book I was introduced to was Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food and after cooking from this book for a few months I learned so many things that I still use to this day. The recipe I am sharing today is one of my own and it's an all time favorite. This recipe is quick, it's easy and I use it often when I am in a hurry. Kraft Macaroni and Cheese with an added BONUS Sweet Potatoes. (no, this is not a paid ad for Kraft Mac & Cheese)

I store these small 1/4 cups of Sweet Potatoes in my freezer, so that I have them at all times. They only take about 30 seconds in the microwave to thaw out. (I also have cauliflower, spinach and a few others on hand).

My son is the worst eater ever and it's so crazy because my girls love food, all kinds of different foods and my son eats NOTHING. Really, he eats sandwiches with only jelly, buttered noodles, macaroni and cheese and cereal. Of course ice cream is his nightly treat and besides these few basic things he is the pickiest eater ever. Oh, but he LOVES avocados, yep the whole avocado just cut up, and he'll eat more then one if I let him.

So, sneaking in vegetables has become my favorite past time with him. I can add these sweet potatoes in his Macaroni and Cheese, puree' Cauliflower into his buttered noodles, scrambled eggs and also into his mashed potatoes. These simple things have really let me be more relaxed about his eating knowing that I can sneak in a few extra healthy vegetables here and there. I really truly recommend getting this cookbook (especially if your kids are picky), it has so many recipes and taught me so many more things about adding in things where you least expect it (spinach in chocolate cake, REALLY!), and it never hurts to be a little more healthier.



This week's theme "SURPRISE INGREDIENT" is a little harder then last week's CHOCOLATE... CHOCOLATE... and MORE CHOCOLATE in which we had over 150 link-ups of AWESOME chocolate recipes (you can bet I'll be making alot of them as soon as I possibly can)! But, I am just as excited to see what you wonderful bloggers can come up with in your secret, surprise and/or hidden ingredient recipes. It doesn't have to be a vegetable... Do you hide a snickers bar inside of a cupcake or cookie, a puree' vegetable inside of your spaghetti sauce or some spinach inside our your morning smoothie?

Kraft Macaroni & Cheese with Sweet Potatoes
from Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food

Kraft Macaroni & Cheese (follow the recipe on your favorite box)
1/4 cup puree' sweet potatoes

Make a box of your regular Kraft Macaroni & Cheese and then add in 1/4 cup of puree Sweet Potatoes along with the milk, butter and cheese sauce.

I store puree sweet potatoes in ziploc baggies (1/4 cup) in each bag (or in little plastic to-go containers); and store in my freezer.  This adds in some much needed veggies to the kids favorite meals and they don't even know it!

I LOVE Linky Parties and it's MONDAY already! Let's do this bloggers... it's a fresh start to a NEW week! I can't wait to mix and mingle with all of you and see what has been cooking in your kitchens! Today, this recipe is linked to the following linky parties: Homemaker Monday, I Made It MondayJust Something I Whipped Up, Made by You MondaysMaking the World Cuter, Market Yourself Monday, Melt in Your Mouth MondayMotivate Me MondayMouthwatering MondayJust Another Meatless Monday, Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays, Your Recipes, My Kitchenand My Meatless Mondays

*****************************************************
Now onto the LINKY PARTY! Please only link recipes with our theme!
This week's theme is: SURPRISE INGREDIENT

(What can you hide in your favorite recipe?)

Here is a complete list of the past weeks and a list of what's coming up on This Week's Cravings!

If you are a regular link-up we're excited to see what you made! If you are new please read & follow the simple rules, so everyone can enjoy the linky party! If you forget to link back or add a button IN YOUR post you will receive a gentle reminder. THANKS A MILLION!

Please Grab Our Button!!!

This Week's Cravings Past & Future Recipe Links


This is a BLOG HOP Party so please visit other links
and meet some great BLOGGERS!

17 comments :

  1. Hi Tina! Thank you for stopping by and for the invite! Delighted to join you! Have a great day!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina,
    I love the Mac N Cheese with Sweet Potatoes, great idea. I shared my Turnip Casserole, with lots of surprises, you will never know that it is a turnip. Thank you for hosting and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I got the wrong html! I am sorry just delete mine ;) Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Posted a killer banana bread recipe that has apricot jelly or marmalade inside. Makes it taste so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of storing the small servings of sweet potato to throw in different recipes. This is a great theme this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for letting me know about your party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent ideas! I imagine sweet potato adds great flavor as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tina! I am sharing my recipe for Cauliflower Faux Potato Salad. It tastes just like a "regular" potato salad!
    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just linked mine. Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Tina!! Thanks for the invite!! I linked up to you and added the April Fool's day Lasagna.

    http://www.nothingbutcountry.com/2011/03/april-fools-day-lasagna-for-dessert/

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing. New follower = )

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea for getting more veggies into the kids. :)

    Thanks for letting me know about your linky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for stopping by & inviting me to your party! i am so going to try to hide sweet potatoes in my son's next serving of mac & cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I linked up a black bean salad that my whole family (including the kids) love. You can easily add extra vegetables (fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, shredded raw carrots, french style green beans) to give it even more of a nutritional boost.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hide squash in our mac and cheese too! Works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for inviting me to your fun link party. I'm looking forward to checking out all the yummy recipes.

    Cheers,
    Tracy Lazy Chef Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  17. First of all, what a great idea for a linky party! This is something all moms need! Too bad my kids won't eat mac n chz. Weird, I know! Thanks for inviting me!
    Jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...