background

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Banana Doughnuts with Banana Frosting (GLUTEN-FREE)

Okay, whoever thinks Gluten-Free food tastes horrible has got to taste these doughnuts. AMAZING, DELICIOUS, SCRUMPTIOUS ON MY, that's just a few words to describe these luscious GLUTEN-FREE doughnuts. On my 8 hour search last Friday for gluten-free recipes I came across this amazing recipe and I knew I had to give it a try. And not just for my daughter, because we all love doughnuts and we don't eat them much (more because of the calories then anything else).  


In researching this recipe a little more I found some great web-sites. This recipe is actually from Everyday with Rachel Ray former editor Silvana Nardone. She even has her own blog for gluten-free baking and cooking Dish Towel Diaries and a cookbook: Cooking for Isaiah: Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Recipes for Easy Delicious Meals. (I went right over to Amazon and purchased my own copy). The recipes look and sound amazing, out of all the gluten-free cook books I've looked at this seems to be my favorite so far.


Banana Doughnuts with Banana Frosting
Everyday with Rachel Ray  former editor Silvana Nardone

1 1/4 cups gluten flour & 1 tsp of xanthan gum (or use regular flour if you don't need gluten-free)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1-1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 bananas)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract (make sure it's gluten-free)
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease nonstick, 6-count doughnut pans (makes about 16 doughnuts). In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, eggs, mashed bananas, vanilla and the oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Spoon the batter about three-quarters full into the prepared pans. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted comes out dry, 12 to 15 minutes; let cool completely on a rack.

Banana Frosting
1/4 cup shortening, at room temperature
2-1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (1 banana)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract (make sure it's gluten-free)
1-3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice

Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the shortening, confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup banana, vanilla, cinnamon, and the lemon juice. Glaze the doughnuts with the frosting.

(We will be using this frosting on many things to come in the future, this would be awesome on cupcakes too)!


I LOVE Linky Parties, what a great way to mix and mingle with lots of bloggers! This recipe is linked to the following linky parties: Feasting in Fellowship,  Fab Friday, Family Friendly Fridays, Fat Camp Friday, Feature YourSelf Friday, Sweet Tooth Friday and Flaunt it Friday

4 comments :

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you! We need more tasty gluten free treats and these will be made as soon as possible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh Haaa! I have a sweet friend who can't have gluten...thank you for this one! love to you Tina! Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog through Family Friendly Fridays and I'm so glad I did. I love doughnuts and I love bananas...I need to try this fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look delicious an would luv to make them but what about if you dont have a doughnut pan ?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...