background

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Family Meal Planning (1-10-11)

Click here to see previous week's Family Meal Planning! 

It's 2011, It's January and It's COLD! I LOVE summer way better then this cold stuff. I think I don't like "winter food" much! I don't like soup, casseroles and things like that. I MUCH rather have BBQ, salads, chips and dips, ice cream and all those mouth watering dishes that we make when it's hot outside.

But, since it is January and it is COLD outside, I must put a few of those comfort foods that so many people love (and yes a few of my family members too). This month we have begun our new weekly grocery budget of $150 dollars a week (the Dave Ramsey way... Rice & Beans and Beans & Rice). Not really, as I hate rice & beans, but I am sure there will be many nights of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. Can't feed your family cheaper than that, can you? So far it's been great (I'll admit I have a lot of stock pile though, which I will be up to the challenge of Cleaning out Your Cupboards from Frugal Follies and I still need to make my freezer check list/Pantry Challenge from Good Cheap Eats). The first week the $150 dollar went well (with even $60 bucks left over, REALLY!!!). This is a NEW week, after one trip to Target (for paper towels, protein bars and a few other things); there is $75 bucks left and I am hitting Costco today at lunch (milk, water, bread, butter, etc). (REPORT BACK.. total at Costco was $53 BUCKS)

I am really excited about this challenge and I am looking forward to the adventure. This is a ONE YEAR commitment (for our family) and I hope to come out on the other side in less debt and more frugal. There are lots of other things we have ALL given up for the year, I am sure you'll be hearing about them as we go along. I am even teaching my 17 year old daughters along the way, I have given them a $100 budget and they are to figure out what they need for the month: entertainment, personal items, make-up, extra dance classes, fun stuff or whatever else. We will see how that goes, but I think it SO important to teach them this NOW before they leave home so that when they are in college they will be way better equipped.

Here my PLAN for this week...don't worry about a shortage of recipes here on MOMS CRAZY COOKING List of Recipes, cuz believe me with NO fast food, NO restaurants and eating at home every single day, there will be lots and lots of cooking in my house this year! It's going to be a fun ride..let's go!
Check back at the end of the week and we will link the actual recipe!
(not all recipes will become reality so if there is not a link, we haven't made it yet)

Jamie Oliver Spaghetti
Steak & Potatoes
Crunch Berry Pancakes




Also don't forget our linky party
this week's theme is PIZZA-PIZZA-PIZZA 

1 comment :

  1. Hi-just found you from your Grocer Cart link up :) How many are you feeding for $150 a week? We're a family of five on a $70 a week grocery budget, and right now we're transitioning to a whole foods/organic diet :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...