background

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Potatoes Au Gratin (Crock-Pot)

Okay here is my blogger confession. "I am not good at getting an entire meal on the table". This is something I want to work on this year. I figure after my twins leave for college and it's just my little guy and I (oh and my husband too on the rare occational day he is not working), my plan is too work on a "WHOLE" meal. Or at least get better at it. I can cook like no other, I can bake like no other. There isn't a week or month that goes by that my family doesn't enjoy homemade muffins, fresh hot chocolate chip cookies, a full Turkey or Ham cooked to perfection or an awesome salad and side dish (like this scrumptious meal below). But, try and get me to cook them ALL together! HUH! That rarely happens, maybe on Thanksgiving but not on a regular week night. So, I am sad to confess ya know what we had for dinner the night I made this OH-SO-DELICIOUS Potatoes Au Gratin in the crock-pot? Potatoes! Yep, that's all we had, a bowl full of Potatoes Au Gratin. :-) Okay, so I am working on this skill for SURE!!!


Potatoes Au Gratin (in Crock-Pot)
adapted by me, recipe found at Farm Bell Recipes

6 medium potatoes
8 oz cheese, shredded
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
chopped garlic or minced garlic
Kosher Salt, Garlic Salt and Lawry's Salt

Wash, peel, and slice your potatoes. You want them about a medium thickness. Grease your slow cooker. I used 2 tbsp of extra butter, but pan spray would work just fine.

Add one layer of potatoes and salt them. I alternate with Kosher Salt, Garlic Salt and Layry's Salt, but do not skimp on the salt or your potatoes will be bland.

Continue layering and salting until you have used all the potato slices.

Next melt 3 tbsp of butter in a small sauce pan, add the flour and whisk. Cook over medium heat until mixture starts to bubble up, then cook for 2 minutes whisking constantly. Slowly pour in the milk and the 2 tbsp of chopped garlic and whisk until thickened.  Add the cheese and stir until melted.

Pour the cheese mixture over top the potatoes. Don’t stir the potatoes, but give them a jiggle to get some of the sauce down into the bottom of the pot. Place 2 paper towels across the top of the slow cooker and put on the top. Turn the pot on high and cook for about 2 to 3 hours. Or if you'd like cook on high for 1 hour and then low for about 3 to 4 hours. Each crock-pot cooks differently.




9 comments :

  1. That looks like my kind of meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My Husband would love this dish!! He is a potato au gratin type of man!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol - Oh Tina, you really crack me up. Maybe a tad bit of a perfectionist in you? That's what it sounds like and I speak from experience. Make yourself some easy to reheat sides so you can focus on making a spectacular main entree. Anyway, you can serve me nothing but potatoes au gratin anytime - love me a good spud!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This yummy looking dish is going on my menu this week. It will accompany Pioneer Woman's Meatloaf. Delicious combo! Thanks, I'm always looking for good crock pot recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these for dinner tonight--yummy. Perfect addition to barbequed chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I've been searching for a good au gratin potato recipe, and this looks like a winner. Cant wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I added some left over ham from christmas Dinner and turned this into a 1 dish dinner! great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha. I'm the same with the "whole" meal. If I do, something won't be as good. Today I am going to try this in the crock pot because once its in a crock I won't have to worry right? I'm going to put a turkey in, then do the potatoes. Both cook themselves once their in right? Then I just have to heat up some green beans right before dinner time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha. I'm the same with the "whole" meal. If I do, something won't be as good. Today I am going to try this in the crock pot because once its in a crock I won't have to worry right? I'm going to put a turkey in, then do the potatoes. Both cook themselves once their in right? Then I just have to heat up some green beans right before dinner time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...