background

Saturday, August 20, 2011

White Chocolate Mousse & Strawberry Shortcake Skewers

I am going berry picking today and I am so excited. My last year's raspberries and blackberries lasted me almost a year (in the freezer, of course). But fresh frozen berries are still so much better then store-bought frozen berries. Check out my post from last year, including many photos of berry and apple picking! This year I am going twice. Once today with a great friend because we want some berries, and then I will be going camping in October and doing lots of apple picking with family and friends, but by then the berries will be all gone. Does anyone know can you freeze apples? I've never tried it and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Here are TWO great recipes.... the Strawberry Shortcake Skewers are so simple and so fabulous. Great to have at any party or get together. And this White Chocolate Mousse from Your Homebased Mom is unbelievable. Yes, my girls and I sat down and ate the whole bowl (at least we paired it with some healthy fruit and we didn't eat it all in one sitting, but we probably could have). I can't wait to try this mousse with crepes.


Strawberry Shortcake Skewers
Frozen Pound cake, cut into squares
Favorite Fruit, Strawberries and Blueberries work great

Cut pound cake into squares and slide onto a skewer with your favorite fruit. It's simple, it's easy and everyone loves it.

White Chocolate Mousse
from Your Homebased Mom, found originally on Evil Shenanigans

1 cup milk (whole milk would be the best)
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp butter
3 oz. white chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 tsp gelatin
1 tbsp cold water
1 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine milk, cornstarch, sugar and egg yolk into a medium sauce pan.  Whisk together well.  Over medium heat, cook until it thickens and comes to a simmer.  Whisk constantly.  It will take about 10 minutes.

Then remove from heat and add in vanilla, butter and white chocolate.  Mix until everything is melted (make sure white chocolate melts completely.  Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and chill for four hours or overnight.

In a small cup or bowl combine the gelatin with the water.  Let it stand for about 10 minutes.  Then pop into the microwave for about 10 seconds to melt the gelatin.  Cool to room temperature.

Then combine cream, powdered sugar and vanilla.  Whip until thick.  Add in gelatin and mix until medium peaks are formed.  Fold the whipped cream into the white chocolate mixture in 3 parts.  Cover and chill for at least an hour or overnight.


2 comments :

  1. Ohhhhh so pretty!! So Sweet! Just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your totally killin me over here. I think I'll make the hubs go to the store...must have these now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...